Friday, April 14, 2017

Goddess Fish Promotions VBB + Interview: The Ghost in Exile by Jamie Marchant






The Ghost is going to hell. Not even the goddess can forgive his sins: assassin, oath-breaker, traitor (an affair with the queen earned him that title). No one can ever learn the princess is his daughter. To keep this secret, he flees to the land that turned him from a simple stable groom into an infamous killer.

His mission now? To find evildoers and take them to hell with him. But when an impulsive act of heroism saddles him with a damsel who refuses to be distressed, her resilience forces him to questions why he really ran from his daughter.




Purchase:
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Exile-Korthlundian-Kronicle/dp/0997862424/




Interview
1. What was your inspiration for becoming a writer?
This is a hard question to answer since I believe that writing is either a part of my soul or encoded in my DNA. I’ve never wanted to be anything else. I started writing as soon as I learned how to hold a pencil.

2. Who are your biggest influences?
I’d have to say my biggest influences are fairy tales and Mercedes Lackey. When I was a child, my older sister told me fairy tales. Then I graduated into fantasy novels. When I discovered Lackey, the entire world came alive. I used to say I wanted to be Mercedes Lackey when I grew up. I hope I’m getting closer.

3. What are your favorite genres to read?
I write what I like to read: epic and urban fantasy. However, I won’t say no to a good mystery.

4. Do you have any book recommendations for your readers?
Besides my own and Mercedes Lackey’s, I’d recommend Holly Evans, a lesser known British author of urban fantasy. I just finished Stolen Ink, and not only is it a fantastic story, Holly has created an innovative world that drips with magic. I loved it.

5. Do you have any advice for upcoming writers?
First piece of advice: Read and then read some more. Read in the genre you want to write, but also read more broadly in lots of different genres. No one can be a good writer who isn’t first a voracious reader. Second piece of advice: Join a writer’s group and learn how to take criticism. It can be hard when someone doesn’t love every thing about your baby, but you will not be a great writer if you don’t develop thick skin. Because you’re too close to your own work, you truly can’t see all of its flaws without someone to point them out to you. Nasty surprise: Your work is not over when the manuscript is published. You have to promote your work, or it won’t sell. Nobody told me this when I published my first novel. I still don’t like that this is true. Reality can really suck sometimes. That’s why I write fantasy.

EXCERPT
The Ghost went for a walk after his supper at the Green Sandpiper, an inn that catered to mercenaries and other unsavory types. The falling of night deepened the cold, but he didn’t cut short his walk. He wandered the filthy streets of the poorer section of the city, thinking about past kills—those in the distant past, not those connected with his daughter. He couldn’t think of her ever again. The few short years he’d spent with her had been the best in his life, but he hadn’t deserved them. The only thing he deserved was to rot in the seven hells. He wondered how many had died at his hands. Two hundred? Three? More? He’d never kept count.


Few of the street lights were lit in this part of town, but that was no hindrance to The Ghost. When he’d been the Saloynan king’s personal assassin, he’d had an enchantment performed on his eyes, giving him the ability to see in the dark, even the complete darkness of a cave.


Passing an alley, he heard a commotion. He turned to see a young woman pleading with two men. “Don’t make me go with him,” she begged. “He hurts me.”


The first man slapped her across the face, and The Ghost saw the iron slave collar around the woman’s neck. She wore a low-cut, red bodice trimmed with black lace and an extremely short red skirt. She had to be freezing in this weather. “You’ll do as you’re told and like it, or . . .” He drew a knife and ran it across her right breast, drawing a thin line of blood.


He imagined his daughter being similarly assaulted. He stepped into the alley. “Let her go.”


About The Author
Jamie Marchant is the author of the epic fantasy series, The Kronicles of Korthlundia. Her novels include The Goddess's Choice, The Soul Stone, and The Ghost in Exile. Her short fiction has been published in the anthologies--Urban Fantasy and Of Dragons & Magic: Tales of the Lost Worlds—and in Bards & Sages, The World of Myth, A Writer’s Haven, and Short-story.me. She lives in Auburn, Alabama, with her husband and four cats, which (or so she’s been told) officially makes her a cat lady. She teaches writing and literature at Auburn University. She is the mother of a grown son.

Connect With The Author:
Website: http://jamie-marchant.com/
Blog:  http://jamie-marchant.blogspot.com/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/jamieofkorthlundia/
Twitter: @JamieMarchantSF
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5258855.Jamie_Marchant
Newsletter Sign up:  http://jamie-marchant.blogspot.com/p/newsletter-signup.html



GIVEAWAY

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me. I'd love to answer any questions you or your readers may have. I'll be checking back throughout the day. This is the last stop of the tour. It's been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the tour and thanks for the chance to win :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed following the tour for The Ghost In Exile and I'm looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for sharing all of the great posts along the way :)

    ReplyDelete